Happy 2nd Anniversary California Bipolar Foundation
Dear Friends of CBF:
It's hard to believe that CBF has been operating for 2 years! In such a short time, we have come a long way. Please read below about all the wonderful services that we are providing.
We would love for you to get involved. Read about all the opportunities that are available to you, your family, and loved ones.
To your good health,
Muffy Walker; President
David & Nic Sheff: Luncheon, book signing & program
Join us for a very special opportunity to hear the raw and honest heartbreaking story of Nic Sheff's journey with addiction, bipolar disorder and his road to recovery. Father David Sheff, author of Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey through his Son's Addiction, was named one of Time Magazine's 100 World's Most Influential people. He and son Nic, author of Tweak: Growing Up on Methamphetamines2 lovers, will share their compelling stories.
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
July 29, 2009
11:00 - 1:30
Tickets begin at $52
This special event is co-hosted by CBF & Vista Hill Foundation
For information or to purchase tickets, please contact Tom Kelly.
Kay Redfield Jamison Ph.D. & artist Miguel Cordera
Dinner & Conversation; The Artistic Temperament
Join us September 4th for a very special evening. Dr. Kay Jamison and artist Miguel Cordera will share their experiences with bipolar disorder and tell about its impact on the artistic temperament.
The Grand Del Mar
September 4, 2009
Tickets begin at $300.
VIP seating includes back of the house tour, private reception in the underground wine room,
and option to have Jamison or Cordera seated at your table. VERY limited seating available. For more information or to purchase tickets, contact Muffy at email@example.com
This event is the culmination of a 3-day Contemporary Art Fair, the first to be held on the west coast. For more information about the art fair, go to: www.beyondtheborder-art.com
Annual Family Picnic
Bring your family to our annual summer picnic and swim party. We've heard from most of you and met some, but would love to meet all of you and your family members. Come join us for an informal day of fun, friends, and support.For more information, please check the My Support e-newsletter.
August 29, 1:00 - 4:00
What we've been up to.....
- Caregiver Support Groups
- Sibling Support Groups
- My Support e-newsletter
- Granted our 501 c 3 federal tax-exempt status
- Two $50,000 research grants awarded in 2008
- One $50,0000 research grant available in 2009
- One $10,000 community grant available in 2009
- Annual Mental Health Fair
- David & Nic Sheff event
- Kay Jamison & Miguel Cordera event
- Breaking the Silence (anti-stigma campaign) ongoing with Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, local community organizations & schools
- New (wonderful) Executive Director; Thomas Kelly (contact him anytime! using this form)
- New (wonderful) Executive Board members; Isabelle Carey; Treasurer and Ann Reed
- New (wonderful) Honorary Board members Bob & Mary Jane Engman
- Support Group Leader Training
- Voice Awards Judge (how media depicts mental illness)
- Annual fundraising gala. In 2009 we raised $155,000 (Thank you!!!!!:-)
- Educational training video
- Development DVD
- Collaboration with NAMI San Diego and NAMI North Coastal
- Member of the Multi-Cultural Advisory Board, dealing with Bipolar Disorder and mental illness in minority communities.
- Member of the Tri-City Forum, which deals with mental health issues affecting North San Diego County
- Constructing a state of the art website which will provide educational resources, advocacy training, latest research data, medication education and research, and provide monthly Bipolar Disorder web cast.
- Developing relationships with County Supervisors and other local elected officials who care about mental illness related issues
- CBF's new informative step-brochure
- Twitter, MySpace, and blogs
- Educational brochures (coming soon)
- Ongoing column about a young woman with BPD in Rancho Santa Fe Review
- Ad space in bp Magazine
- Applied for federal, state and city grants
and we're not finished yet.........
How can you get involved?
- Come to a Support Group
- Be trained as a Support Group leader
- Volunteer at an event
- Join the Consumer Advocacy Board
- Donate your time, treasure or talent
Get involved! We're looking for:
- A Public Relations person (help with media releases and articles)
- Committee members for the Care & Support and Education Committees
- Event photographer & videographer
- Outreach volunteers (we need supportive friends to contact new members)
We thank you for all you have done to support us in our growth!
Our wish list....
If you can help in any small way, we truly appreciate it.
- Frequent flier miles (we are providing travel for Dr. Jamison from Baltimore & Miguel Cordera from Mexico City)
- Office space
- Office equipment (fax, copier, etc.)
- Donations for our gala auction; vacation homes, frequent flier miles, celebrity meet 'n greet, sporting event tickets, internships, private gourmet or wine dinners
- Pro bono services (tax accountant, help with insurance, free mental health services, printing)
- Sponsorship/underwriting at any of our events